03 April 2009

Laying down smoke

Session logoI love smoked beers, and have very few memories of meeting ones I didn't like. From my first whiff of Craft Smoked Lager to establishing Schlenkerla Märzen as a regular, the past few years have been a greasy, bacon-flavoured, slippery slope all the way to smoke addiction for me.

There aren't too many rauchbiers available on a regular basis in Ireland. The magnificent Imperial from Messrs Maguire is the only home-grown one I've ever encountered, and it was a one-off (though an 18-month-old keg of it is due to be tapped at the Franciscan Well Easter Festival next week -- anything could happen). So I had a minor crisis when Lew picked smoked beers as the theme for April's Session. It took me a couple of days to remember there was an unconsumed rauchbier in my stash -- a Mikkeller I picked up on my last visit to Copenhagen. I had been aging it, but what the hell: any excuse to drink a smoked beer. Was some Danish bacon on the cards?

No, as it happened. Barrel Aged Smoke a Ciggy is a beer very much on the extreme side of the house. The nose doesn't really hint at what lies beneath, offering a double IPA warm hoppiness with just a mild earthiness from the wood and smoke. On tasting, the massively heavy, thick body with its mouth-coating texture could pass for even stronger than the 11.5% ABV, and there's no room for any fresh meaty rauchmalz flavours. Instead, there's a super-concentrated smokiness adding a spicy new dimension to vanilla wood notes and the sort of massive hop bittering I associate with an American barley wine.

Basically, this is phenols a-go-go, and not the sort of beer for anyone who cares about balance or subtlety in what they drink. I'm no anti-extremist, but even I found it tough going and I'm not sure I enjoyed the hour or so it took me to get through 25cl. I think quaffable thirst-quenching smokers are much more my bag. It's still early, but there's a Schlenkerla in the fridge for me when I get home.

9 comments:

  1. sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11.5% yikes; it's a wonder you can taste anything ;-)
    Nice post, love the pic, hope you enjoyed the second better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. microgirl shared a bottle of this with me a while back and I seem to recall enjoying it. But then I am a bit of a sucker for oak aged beers and we were using those 5cl tasting glasses to split it 4 ways. It might have become overpowering in any kind of volume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Craft was one of the first smoked beers I had and I really enjoyed it. As for the bacon beer that is Schlenkerla I am not quite there yet... I like the sound of that Mikkeller though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried (and reviewed) Schlenkerla Märzen recently. I have to be honest, my taste has a long way to go before I can enjoy a smoke beer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Schlenkerla Märzen is a delicious beer. Top notch. I have to say I was underwhelmed by their smoked Weizen though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second that on the Schlenkerla Märzen, great beer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny, my German colleagues generally disliked the Schlenkerla Märzen, but to me it's bloody great. Having their Weissbier now and it's going down a treat.

    That Barrel Aged Smoke a Ciggy sounds wonderful. Sounds like a slow sipper nightcap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you know...it's the least favourite style of beer for me. I suspect I am not up on it enough to appreciate smoked beers, but i just can't get past the bacon vibe.

    ReplyDelete