24 May 2007

Vote red

It's been a tradition of mine that after voting I go to the local (whose doors I rarely darken) for a pint. Today is the first election day since this blog began and I'm using it to report on my pint of choice in said local (and Peter's Pub, which is the only other Dublin pub I regularly find it): Beamish Red. Beamish Stout is dreadful muck, but their nitro-red is rather better than the competition from Caffrey's, Kilkenny or Murphy's. Like all of them it's smooth past the point of blandness, but if you're paying close attention there's a faint kick of ripe strawberries at the end which makes the whole thing worthwhile. That, and the fact that my local charges a mere €3.40 a pint (up 40c from last election day, mind).

Beamish Red: Drink early, drink often

2 comments:

  1. Do you *ever* like nitro beers though? Can't stomach them myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever want to drink draught ale or stout in a pub without having to flee the country, you don't have much choice.

    Have I mentioned the bit about choice in Irish pubs yet?

    ReplyDelete